Thursday, February 7, 2008

Creativity - It's just that simple and it's just that hard

So. This is just an ode to the creative process. A little background information. Yesterday I was having like a complete an utter block as to what to do for Design A Day 8. At the last moment, I made a flower ring. I'm happy with it but it was not *inspired*. It looks really cute on though so I can only be so upset:

One thing that is maddening and fantastic about creativity is how it ebbs and flows. There are powder keg moments of inspiration and slow simmering moments as well. And then there is a drought. I have to remind myself in those moments that the drought don't last always. Today, I have no shortage of ideas or things that I'd like to say/make! So I really like what Gwen Stefani says in this HP commercial and I took the time to transcribe it. Maybe I'll put it up on a wall or something. I think it succinctly says what I am trying to get at here. Thanks Gwen!

"Sometimes it's so hard to find what it is I'm trying to say. People might think you can turn creativity on and off, but it's not like that. It just kinda comes out - a mash up of all these things you collect in your mind. You never know when it's going to happen. But when it does, it's like magic. It's just that simple and it's just that hard." - Gwen Stefani

No comments: