Friday, August 8, 2008

My Partner.

So everyone seems to be calling their significant other their “partner” these days. I have to say I have found this irritating. Aren’t there particular words for that like husband, wife, beau, girlfriend and boyfriend (though I find the last two to be irritating as well unless you are 17 and under).

But then I started to consider it more thoughtfully. Partnership is really a great way to describe what a relationship should entail. The words “husband” nor “wife” are as explanatory. After all some people might consider their husband to be their sugar daddy or their wife to be their mom. There is no such fuzziness with the word partner.

Partner implies you are working together and working towards something together. Marital partners are building a life together, working on very day common goals like saving for vacation or having the kids in bed no later than 8:30 PM.

Partners in my estimation help each other out and lighten each other’s loads. The dictionary actually uses the word “sharer.” Partners share in each other’s sad times and in their good ones.

From now on I’m calling my husband my partner. I think it is the best word. Heck, I might even have to have a wedding ring with the word “partner” on it. It will help me remember when I’m feeling particularly selfish. ;D

3 comments:

Julie said...

These are fantastic thoughts - I feel much the same way about my relationship with my hubby! :)

T.Allen said...

How very insightful and accurate. I guess I should consider something other than husband, especially since I am the self proclaimed 'Matriarch of the Pierce Street Universe'.

Anonymous said...

lol... I never thought of it that way. The word used to kind of irritate me.